When Apple was recently talking about its ultra-expensive new Apple Ultra Watch, which offers up to 60 hours of battery life and was “ideal” for scuba diving, the guys at Finnish smartwatch company Suunto were rubbing their hands with joy.
It was Apple entering its market with the company selling a variety of Suunto D watches designed specifically for divers, suddenly getting a lot of publicity for the category in which they had been a major player for some time.
At a reception in Bondi today, Suunto unveiled its latest offering with the rollout of the Suunto 9 Peak Pro which is a multisport GPS including a dive watch. Instead of 60 hours of battery life, Suunto offers 21 days of uptime for its new device, which I set up in minutes. It is available from The Good Guys and Bing Lee.
Sleek light and with a totally redesigned interface, this device is among the best on the market today.
The first thing you notice, apart from the sleek watch straps and colors such as blue, slate gray and black, is the 43mm case which is only 10.8mm thick, it is also lightweight 64g.
A big step up from the Suunto 9 Peak, this device is up there with the best smartwatch brands, and it’s made in Finland in wind-powered factories.
The device also supports Beidou, Galileo, Glonass and GPS satellite systems and can connect to 32 satellites simultaneously for precise location accuracy.
It is also waterproof up to 100 meters; The Apple Ultra is good for 30 yards.
The new chipset architecture of this device improves performance while providing better battery life.
The new battery lasts 21 days of daily use before needing a charge.
In In Peak performance mode, it lasts 40 hours, 70 hours in Endurance mode and 300 hours in Tour mode. Suunto 9 Peak Pro Key Features:
• Ultra-thin: 10.8 mm (excluding HR dome). Screen size: 1.2″.
• Weight: the titanium model 55 g and the steel model 64 g
• GPS watch with the lowest carbon footprint on the market: total life cycle CO2e emissions of only 7.49 kg
• Fully carbon offset in a reforestation project with carbon units verified through Tree-Nation. Verified Carbon Units are validated by the international verification program guaranteeing the quality of carbon offset projects.
• Tested to the highest military strength standard (*MIL-STD-810H). List of tests here
• Daily activity tracking: steps, heart rate, sleep, calories, stress, etc.
• Extremely fast charging: 100% battery in 1 hour or 10 hours of training after 10 minutes of charging
• Barometric sensor
• Over-the-air software updates
• Made with sapphire crystal, stainless steel and two models in grade 5 titanium
• Waterproof down to -100 m
• New snorkeling sport mode that tracks activity data down to -10m
• 97 sport modes to choose from and possibility to create custom modes
2022 has been an ambitious year of brand partnerships, supplying its sports watches to military-inspired obstacle challenge True Grit, New Zealand-based Super Rugby team The Hurricanes and Australian motor racing team Penrite Racing.
The Suunto 9 Peak Pro will be available in six different versions, four models constructed from stainless steel ($759) and two models constructed from titanium ($959). A wide variety of accessory bracelets will be available to allow it to reflect a multitude of personal styles.